Attaching a grease gun can be tricky if you don’t know the basics. Yes, we get it; it can sometimes be a little bit overwhelming. We have decided to give you a step-by-step guide on How to Attach Grease Gun to Zerk Fitting so that you don’t lose track.
Before taking any steps about a mechanical part, it is wise to be careful and do proper research. For the lack of time, we skip this and directly go to the action.
But here in this article, we have done outstanding research and give you a decent idea about Grease Gun Fitting. So be with us!
Table of Contents
What Is A Grease Gun?
A grease gun is commonly used in workshops and garages. You can use it to lubricate machine joints and equipment. It has a small compartment to hold lubricant.
It also has a gun by which you can apply the lubricant all over the desired place. Some of the guns are hand-powered, some are electric, and some are air-powered (pneumatic).
What Is Zerk Fitting?
Grease fittings are also known to the people as Zerk Fittings. Zerk fittings are permanent and are used to lubricate the joints on the machine. They are also known as grease nipples as they are somewhat shaped like nipples. It has a ball inside, which rolls around and ensures protection against harmful materials.
How to Attach Grease Gun to Zerk Fitting?
Before you go attaching a grease to zerk fitting, you must have a clear idea of How to Use a Grease Gun.
Now let’s move on to the crucial and main topic of this article. We will describe a step-by-step process of how to attach a grease joint to zerk fitting.
1. Firstly, you have to assemble the gun to set it right. Then you have to set it coupler with the hose pipe. By doing this, you can also reach the hard-to-reach corners of the machine.
2. You may see a 4-jaw construction on the coupler. It has the control to adjust the position. You will be able to move the position manually.
3. You have to screw it up carefully. While screwing it up, the jaw construction will also close up. When this happens, it is sure that the connection between the coupler and any joint is attached correctly.
4. A zerk fitting will usually have a small hole in it to pass on the lubricant. You have to find it.
5. Now put the zerk fitting inside the coupler. Ensure that the gun and coupler fits together nicely.
6. Carefully insert the coupler inside the zerk fitting. Keep on pressing it until the zerk fitting fits well with the shoulder of it. Then you have to tighten it with the help of the coupler settings.
7. When the coupler fits well with the zerk fitting, observe closely and remove your hand. If it fits tightly, it means you are ready to start your work.
8. You have to make sure you have screwed the grease just right. This will ensure the grease gun can effectively spread lubricant to your machine.
9. Finally, pull the grease gun trigger and let the lubricant flow.
Different Type of Grease Guns
Though it serves the same purpose, It has four different kinds.
1. Manual (liver) Grease
This is the most general and common type of grease type. It can approximately pump 1.28 grams in each pump.
2. Manual (Pistol grip) Gun
This type of grease gun is very popular, too, as you can operate them single-handedly. But it only provides 0.89 grams of lubricant per pump.
3. Pneumatic Grease Gun
These guns provide compressed air with the help of a hose pipe. It comes with a pistol grip for the comfort of the user.
4. Battery-powered Grease Gun
The battery-powered one has low voltage. This model is also demanding because it is cordless. You can quickly move away with it.
Do not forget that grease gun injuries are severe. So, this is why you have to be extra cautious while using this product. There are many types of safety equipment’s that you can buy from the market.
Hydraulic nipples are popular, and people use them the most. You must use these with a push on the injector. It is unknown in the next moment what is going to happen! So you have to be always alert about your safety.
Be sure that the room you are working in is well lit up to see what you are doing.
How to clean grease gun?
As these gun come in contact with oil, it catches dirt and debris pretty easily. You have to ensure that you are cleaning it well every time you use it. Cleaning the gun will not only protect it from damage, but it will also increase longevity.
You can use a grease cap to prevent any dirt buildup. If you don’t have a grease cap, use a lint-free cloth to wipe off the tool after every use. There are also grease fitting unlocking tools available in the market.
It will be more pleasing for us to give you some basic knowledge on how to Attach Grease to Zerk Fitting. It is used almost every day in a workshop. So, if you regularly work with this machine, you must know how to attach the grease gun with the zerk fitting.
So we hope this was beneficial for you. If you have any queries, please let us know!
Leave a Reply